Rent accommodation in Bologna
We offer 1,350+ holiday rentals in Bologna
Bologna (in Italian, Bologna, pronounced / boˈloɲɲa / (listen); in Bolognese Dialect: Bulåggna [buˈlʌɲɲa]) is a city in Italy, capital of the homonymous metropolitan city and the Emilia-Romagna region (in the north of the country), located between the Reno River and the Savena River, near the Apennines. It is one of the best preserved historical cities and has the second largest medieval old town in Europe, after Venice.
Our selection of Apartments in Bologna
Grattacielo BLQ SANIFICAZIONE CERTIFICATA
Province of Bologna
Bologna (in Italian Provincia di Bologna) was a province of the Emilia-Romagna region in Italy. Its capital was the city of Bologna.
It had an area of 3,562 km2, and a total population of 944,297 inhabitants. (2001). There were 60 municipalities in the province (source: ISTAT, see this link).
On January 1, 2015, it was replaced by the Metropolitan City of Bologna.
Our selection of Apartments in Province of Bologna
Mandria Apartments 1 2
Old Center Station
M2Bo Dossetti 27 - Fiera
University of Bologna
The University of Bologna (Università di Bologna, in Italian) is an Italian public university located in the city of Bologna. It was founded in 1088 as a group of students by Irnerio of the Order of Carmen, starting from the municipal schools and acquiring the University degree; its statutes date from 1317. It is the oldest university in the western world and is among the great European universities such as Oxford, Paris or Salamanca, created by way of his example.
Officially called Alma mater studiorum, the university is an institution for students of both sexes, maintained by the State. It offers courses in Anthropology, Arts, Economics, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, Mathematics, Engineering, Agronomy, Veterinary and Pedagogy.
On the other hand, it has twenty-nine major colleges, among which the oldest in the world that is still in operation, the Royal College of Spain, founded by Cardinal Gil de Albornoz in the mid-fourteenth century.
Currently, the University of Bologna has more than 100,000 students in its 23 schools, in its European centers located in Italy in the cities Imola, Ravenna, Forlì, Cesena and Rimini as well as in its overseas center located in the city of Buenos Aires , Argentina.
Our selection of Apartments in University of Bologna
Casa Bologna Fiera
Casa Casò Guest House
Residence le Porte
Miro' Holiday Attic
Basilica of San Petronio
The Basilica of San Petronio is the main church of the Italian city of Bologna, from which the Plaza Mayor dominates. Its imposing dimensions (132 meters long and 60 meters wide, and a dome height of 45 meters) make it the fifth largest church in the world.
Dedicated to San Petronio, patron of the city (of which he was bishop in the 5th century), its construction dates back to 1390, when the city council commissioned Antonio di Vincenzo to build a large Gothic cathedral, which according to the first intentions should have surpassed - in dimension - the Basilica of St. Peter, in Rome (the project of such majesty was blocked by papal will).
The basilica enjoyed from the beginning of great prestige, to the point of being chosen by Carlos V for his coronation as emperor by Clement VII in 1530.
The works were extended for centuries: after the completion of the first version of the facade, in 1393 the works for the side chapels began, which were completed only in 1479. The decorations of the central nave are the work of Girolamo Rainaldi, which It took place between 1646 and 1658.
The beautification of the facade, with the new minor portals as a corollary of the central gate of Jacopo della Quercia, also meant the cladding of the facade. But the works stopped and resumed several times: numerous architects (among them, Baldassarre Peruzzi, Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola, Andrea Palladio, Alberto Alberti) were called to propose artistic solutions, without ever finding a definitive one. Today the facade remains incomplete.
The basilica was transferred to the diocese only in 1929 and was not consecrated until 1954; Only since 2000 has it housed the relics of the patron saint, until then preserved in the Basilica of Santo Stefano.
Inside, the Mystical Marriage of Santa Caterina by Filippino Lippi, a Virgin and Saints by Lorenzo Costa el Joven, a Pieta by Amico Aspertini.
Also notable are the play of colors of the plaster and polychrome stained glass.
Also noteworthy is the wooden choir of the Quattrocento de Agostino de 'Marchi, the two monumental organs (the one on the right, from 1475, is the oldest among the organs that came to us and the first of independent records, performed by Lorenzo di Giacomo da Prato; the one on the left, the work of Malamini (1596), was added at the end of the 16th century), and the ciborium of the main altar, erected in 1547 by Vignola.
The fourth chapel on the left side, the Bolognini Chapel, decorated in the early 1400s, has a rich marble transenna in the Gothic style; on the altar is a very rich gothic polyptych of gilded and polychrome wood, with twenty-seven carved and other painted figures. The walls are painted in fresco, in their entirety, by Giovanni de Modena: on the right the journey of the Magi; in the opposite, episodes of the life of San Petronio. On the left, the Universal Judgment complex presents a Dantesque-type figuration, divided into three spaces; above, paradise, place of the saints, with the coronation of the Virgin and Christ in an "almond" form (Deisis); below, the archangel Michael and Hell divided into "bolgias" (bolge, in Italian, by the work of Dante), with a gigantic figure of Lucifer and Muhammad lying down.
It is also possible to admire inside the church the Meridian of Giandomenico Cassini, built in 1655 on a project by the astronomer Giovanni Domenico Cassini: its 66.8 m long make it the longest meridian line in the world.
The church welcomes the remains of Elisa Bonaparte, sister of Napoleon.
The Basilica of San Petronio fascinated the Italian poet Giosuè Carducci, who dedicated the poetry Nella piazza di San Petronio.
Our selection of Apartments in Basilica of San Petronio
La Casa di Giò
Accademia al Colle
L'8 Boutique Apartments
The towers of Bologna are buildings of medieval origin located in that city of the Emilia-Romagna region (Italy). Between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, the number of built towers was enormous. The figure of 180 has been mentioned, but scholars consider this figure an exaggeration, the result of an incorrect interpretation of the notarial texts of the time.
The reasons why so many towers were built are not clear. It tends to be thought that the richest families in the city, at a time marked by the struggles between the factions adept at the Pontificate and the Holy Roman Empire, used them as an instrument of attack and defense and, above all, as a symbol of power.
Throughout the thirteenth century, many towers were demolished and some collapsed. In later times, they were used in various ways: as prisons, shops or places of stay. The last demolitions occurred in 1917, when the Artenisi and Riccadonna towers were demolished for the sake of new urban planning.