Rent accommodation in Lucca
We offer 1,040+ holiday rentals in Lucca
St. Martin's Cathedral (Lucca)
St. Martin's Cathedral (in Italian: Duomo di San Martino)? It is a Catholic temple in the Italian city of Lucca, archbishop's seat. The cathedral is dedicated to San Martín de Tours, is in front of the Plaza San Martín.
According to tradition, the first temple was built by San Frediano, a saint from Luca who died in 588. Bishop Anselmo (later elected pope and known as Alexander II) ordered the construction of the cathedral in 1063, who consecrated it in the presence of the Countess Matilde de Canossa.
At the end of the 12th century, the third and final reconstruction of the church began, with the completion of the facade, the works alternating until its completion in 1637. The church acquired its current form with the architect Antonio Pardini. The temple has a rich interior with numerous works of art as a relief with the Deposizione de Nicola Pisano, from the 13th century, the Da Noceto e Bertini funeral monument by Matteo Civitali from the 15th century, the Madonna with Bambino and Santi by Domenico Ghirlandaio, also from the 15th century, the Last Supper of Tintoretto, and the Funerary Monument of Ilaria del Carretto, masterpiece of Jacopo della Quercia. However, the most important object of the cathedral is the old crucifix of the Santa Faz (Volto Santo or Santa Croce in Italian).
Our selection of Apartments in St. Martin's Cathedral (Lucca)
Residenza alla Cattedrale
Finestra San Michele
Appartamento Sul Duomo
Our selection of Hotels in St. Martin's Cathedral (Lucca)
Hotel Diana ★★new
Albergo San Martino ★★★
N.15 Santori Luxury Home ★★★new
Hotel Rex ★★★new
The square of the amphitheater (in Italian "Piazza dell'Anfiteatro") is a square in the Tuscan city of Lucca (Italy), built on the ruins of the ancient Roman amphitheater (2nd century AD), which determines the closed elliptical shape characteristic of the square.
The square was born in the Middle Ages, in this period it was called "parlascio", a deformation of the Latin word paralisium ("theater"), which due to the influence of the word "parlare" (speak in Italian), was said to indicate the place where public meetings were held. Progressively over the years different types of constructions were built: warehouses, polvorines and prisons among others.
In the 19th century, the Luchesi architect Lorenzo Nottolini decided on a recovery of the city's ancient urban structure. The amphitheater area was cleared and the "amphitheater track" with an elliptical profile and surrounding the buildings around the square was opened. The new urban space was used for the city market (Food Market), until in the first half of the 20th century the market headquarters moved to the Carmine market.
Today, the perimeter of the square is approximately 3 meters from the ancient Roman amphitheater. In some of the stores the architectural structures of the republican era are still visible. Access to the square is possible through four doors, but only one of them (the lowest) is similar to the original ones.
Our selection of Apartments in Amphitheater Square
La Grotta del Leone
Rise and Smile Charming Penthouse
Our selection of Hotels in Amphitheater Square
Hotel La Luna ★★★
Hotel Alla Corte degli Angeli ★★★★new
Hotel Ilaria ★★★★new
Piccolo Hotel Puccini ★★★
San Martin Square (Lucca)
San Martin Square (in Italian Piazza San Martino) is a square located in the center of the Tuscan city of Lucca.
On the east side of the square is the Cathedral of San Martín, characterized by its asymmetric facade and its high porch. On the west side, opposite the previous one, is the Palazzo Bernardi by Bartolomeo Ammannati (1556), whose façade extends into a high wall that encloses the palace garden, there is also the back of the Church of San Giovanni and Santa Reparata. On the north of the square is the Antelminelli square with the fountain designed by Lorenzo Nottolini.
Our selection of Apartments in San Martin Square (Lucca)
Lucca Bright Cathedral Apartment
Loft in Chiostro
Terrazza San Martino
Central and cozy apartment in Lucca
Our selection of Hotels in San Martin Square (Lucca)
Albergo Moderno ★★new
Palazzo Dipinto ★★★★new
Hotel Palazzo Alexander ★★★★new
San Luca Palace ★★★★new
The Guinigi Tower is a tower of 44.25 m high located in the city of Lucca, Tuscany, Italy. Its access is produced by Via Sant'Andrea 45.
It is one of the most important towers and one of the most representative monuments of the city of Lucca. It is also one of the few towers that remain standing in this city. The main feature, and for what is best known, is the presence of a garden with some holm oaks on top. Next to it is the palace of the same name that belonged to Michele, Francesco and Nicolao Guinigi.
By the fourteenth century, there were many towers and bell towers within the perimeter of the city walls of Lucca. The Guinigi family (who owned much of the city and constituted one of Lucca's most famous families) wanted to beautify the tower with a wooded garden, making it one of the symbols of the Renaissance, being present even in the family shield .
The tower has been donated by the last heiress of the Guinigi family to the city of Lucca.
Our selection of Apartments in Guinigi Tower
Torre Guinigi Apartment
Le Melodie Di Lucca
Le Antiche Scale
Church of San Salvador (Lucca)
The church of San Salvador (Chiesa di San Salvatore in Italian) is a Catholic church in the city of Lucca (Tuscany, central Italy), which is located in the homonymous square.
This church exists since 1009, it was rebuilt in the twelfth century. The oldest preserved part of this building is the planimetric planning, part of the apparatus and the plant on the wall of the facade and the southern part up to a height of approximately two meters, while the rest of the structure shows signs of being a reconstruction neo-medieval nineteenth century. In the lintel of the right door of the front and the side there is a bas-relief of the Master Biduino, from the second half of the 12th century, related to the theme of the cult of St. Nicholas. The interior of the church is composed of three ships supported by pillars with a presbytery that ends in a staircase.