Rent accommodation in Goslar
We offer 530+ holiday rentals in Goslar
Goslar is a city belonging to the federated state of Lower Saxony (Germany) with a total of 42,811 inhabitants (2005). It is located at the foot of the Harz mountain range. The historic city of Goslar with the Rammelsberg Mines was declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1992, joining the declaration of the Upper Harz hydraulic management system in 2010.
Our selection of Apartments in Goslar
Altstadt Appartements Goslar
Our selection of Hotels in Goslar
Romantik Hotel Alte Münze ★★★★new
Hotel Garni Kaiserpfalznew
Hotel Kaiserworth Goslar ★★★★
Imperial Palace of Goslar
The Imperial Palace of Goslar (in German Kaiserpfalz Goslar) is a historic palace of the German city of Goslar (Lower Saxony), erected at the wish of Emperor Henry II the Holy between the years 1005 and 1056. It was extended, between 1039 and 1056, at the wish of Emperors Conrad II the Salic and Henry III the Black. For two hundred years, between 1050 and 1253, it was the royal court of the Germanic emperors. [ 1] In it, 23 meetings of the imperial diet took place. Abandoned by the emperors, the building decayed to ruins. The main building, the Kaiserhaus (the largest secular building of Romanesque architecture, 54 x 18 meters) was almost completely restructured in the seventies of the nineteenth century; because from 1871 it was used by Emperor William I. [2 ]
Together with the rest of the historic center of the city of Goslar, it is included in the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
The Kaiserpfalz is located on a hill in the southern part of the historic center, west of the Zwinger and southwest of the Siemenshaus.
Before the main facade there are two equestrian statues in bronze, which represent Federico Barbarroja and Guillermo "the Great", and two replicas of the Lion of Brunswick (Braunschweiger Löwe).
Inside is the Kaisersaal ("Imperial Hall"), decorated with 19th-century frescoes that tell the story of Goslar, and the Chapel of San Ulrico, from the 12th century.
Some remains of the palatine church are preserved, with the category of collegiate church, consecrated in 1051 by Bishop German II of Cologne, and whose dedication was of the saints Simon Zelote and Judas Apostle (improperly known as "cathedral de Goslar "-Goslarer Dom -). In it took place the Goslarer Rangstreit (" dispute over the precedence of Groslar ") which resulted in several deaths during the Feast of Pentecost of 1063.
Other buildings of the Goslar palatine complex were the Royal Hall (Kaiserhaus), a church with the invocation of Santa Maria (Liebfrauenkirche, demolished), the aforementioned chapel of San Ulrico and the buildings of the Curia. Immediately adjacent to the collegiate church were a cloister and a refectory, the collegiate chapter and a barn (granarium).